Five people have been reported to have died in Kabatini Area,Nakuru North Sub County after drinking a suspected poisoned home-made alcohol that had been laced with industrial chemical.
The sixth victim who is in a critical condition, according to area residents is said to have gone blind after drinking the illicit brew in JC area of Kabatini location.
Nakuru Police Commander Beatrice Kiraguri confirmed that four of the five bodies were collected in an open field and paths while the fifth person died while undergoing treatment at Bahati hospital.
“Even the survivor cannot say what the actually consumed,it is the area leader who said they were suspected to have been taken spiked changaa,”said Kiraguri as she adds that the sample of the victims are to be investigated to find the actual course of their death.
“There is a speculation that the changaa was poisoned by a competitor who has been acusing his rivals for stealing his stocks but we are treating that as hearsay.”SHe added.
Consumption of Changaa has become popular in Kenya as most people cannot affort to buy standardized alcohol.