Now, according to Deputy President Rigathi Gachagua, and not as previously claimed by some in the opposition, President William Ruto was contacted for a ceasefire in relation to the anti-government protests by Raila Odinga’s Azimio la Umoja One Kenya Alliance.
Gachagua’s remarks follow a news conference by Odinga on April 4 in which he claimed that it was the head of state who requested a cessation of hostilities between his government and the opposition.
Speaking on Thursday at the AIPCA Ngarariga Church in the Limuru Constituency of Kiambu County, Gachagua claimed that the opposition requested a ceasefire after realizing that the demonstrations were futile and pointless.
“These people reached out to our President. They said they had reached a dead-end and they wanted an exit strategy. The President said fine and he gave them the nod to go and discuss their issues in Parliament,” said Gachagua.
“The President called us and informed us of his decision and we said fine. They are now threatening to go back to the streets but I want to say that we will not allow anyone to destroy any property belonging to Kenyans.”
Gachagua reprimanded the former premier for allegedly making him (Gachagua) the topic of conversation during Azimio rallies while insisting that there was no space for a coalition government between President Ruto and Odinga.
“Mimi sina maneno; mimi asiniingililie nafanya kazi yangu. Hawa watu walinichagua wakaniambia kazi yako ni kulinda na kumchunga William Ruto na nikiona mtu anataka kuharibu serikali yake ninakataa,” said the DP.
Other Kenya Kwanza leaders, headed by Majority Leader in the National Assembly Kimani Ichung’wah, echoed Gachagua’s sentiments and dismissed Raila Odinga’s call for negotiations similar to the 2008 National Accord dialogue, which was mediated by Koffi Anan.