Family reveal why Judge Otieno Odek’s planned postmortem was cancelled at the last minute

A postmortem examination to establish the cause of death of Appeal Court judge Otieno Odek has been delayed after his family asked for time to decide where it would be conducted.

Family members allegedly opposed plans to fly their kin’s body to the Lee Funeral Home, Nairobi, until they agree on where exactly they want it preserved.

“We have to sit down as a family and discuss on a few things and that is where a place for preserving the body will be agreed on,” said Yonah Odek, Justice Odek’s elder brother.

The body had already been taken to the Kisumu airport to be flown to Nairobi, but the family said they were not aware of plans to fly the judge’s remains to the capital city.

Yonah said the body was taken back to Aga Khan Hospital, Kisumu, after consultations between the family and judiciary officials.

“We realised that some judges and relatives wanted to view the body here in Kisumu. After consultations it was decided that the body be returned to Aga Khan Hospital mortuary.”

However, Yonah did not rule out plans to take the body to Nairobi, saying a final decision would be reached after family meetings in Kisumu and Nairobi.

Sources said Judiciary officials had proposed that the body be airlifted to Nairobi on Monday, soon after it was discovered in his house.

Yonah further revealed that Odek’s burial would be held at his rural home in Asembo, Siaya County.

“We will give the official communication on the final plans including postmortem exercise and burial later.”

Justice Odek’s wife, Anne Achieng’, was present during the briefing at the Kisumu hospital.

Meanwhile, proceedings at the Court of Appeal in Kisumu were yesterday adjourned until next year as appellate judges paid their last respects to a fallen colleague.

“In honour and respect to our departed colleague, we will adjourn all our sittings until January next year,” said Justice Makhandia

The body of Odek was found in his Groovehut apartment house within Kisumu’s Milimani estate partly covered with a blanket with one of his hands supporting his head.

Nyanza regional police commander Vincent Makokha said investigations were ongoing to establish the cause of Odek’s death.

Facebook Comments
Please follow and like us:


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here