Kenyan officials have issued a red alert and have increased surveillance two fold at all the country’s entry points following the deadly Ebola outbreak in Uganda, which has claimed two lives in the last 12 hours.It is believed the deceased had crossed over into Uganda from the DRC after being infected.Latest information however reveal there may be a large number of infected people who may have crossed into Uganda and are yet to be identified.
Kenya has two major entry points with Uganda (Busia and Malaba) are currently under intensive surveillance by the country’s top health apparatus that were dispatched today afternoon.
Uganda’s health ministry said on Tuesday that a woman of Congolese origin, who is married to a Ugandan, had gone with her child and four other family members to take care of her father in the DRC, who later died of Ebola.
“The boy who tested positive for Ebola in Kasese yesterday passed on last night in the isolation unit,” a health ministry official told AFP on condition of anonymity.
“The minister for health will be briefing the country about the death of the boy and arrangements to bury the body.”The official said the child was likely to be buried Wednesday.DRC Health Minister Oly Ilunga Kalenga said the family were placed in isolation after being identified as in contact with an Ebola patient.
“During the isolation, some family members crossed into Uganda. As soon as they crossed, we contacted the Ugandan authorities,” he told AFP in an interview Wednesday.
Uganda’s health ministry said the family members had been identified and were placed in isolation in Bwera, a town near the border with DRC. Eight other people in contact with the family had been tracked down and were being monitored, the health ministry said.
Ebola is transmitted to people from wild animals and spreads among humans through close contact with the blood, body fluids, secretions or organs of an infected person.